1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big 3 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stadt11, May 21, 2009.

1. stadt11

stadt11 LetMeGoogleThatForYou.com

Just ordered 1/0 gauge welding wire from WeldingSupply.com to do this upgrade (my volts drop down to about 11 or 10 when I rolling up/down the windows & sometimes on loud bass hits). Shipping only took 1 day to receive.

This was much cheaper than getting actual power wire, total cost for 4-ft red 1/0 gauge & 8-ft black 1/0 gauge & 8 1/0 gauge ring terminals was $45.

Waiting on my 200amp fuse from eBay to get here in the next couple of days & just gotta find a time to install it all and will post before & after results.

2. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

Is that multistrand wire? got a pic of it?

3. stadt11

Welding Supply gets their cabling from Direct Wire & Cable.

Here's a pic of the strands:

[​IMG]

4. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

WOW! That's a great idea. Looks like it would make a fantastic amp power lead.

5. Riggs

Riggs Guest

i did this in my truck... it really helps out.. my volt meter is a full 2 ticks above the 14 mark...

6. Z71 Kris

Z71 Kris Independence...

riggs, the new rims look great, sorry for the hijack, now on topic, I have been debating this for a while now. The only problem I see with this upgrade is people using a higher amp fuse then what the alt puts out. If your alt puts out 145 amps, what good does a 200 amp fuse do? I thought the Idea of the fuse is stop current over load to reduce fire(from the wires) and parts malfunction(alternator). Wouldn't a 160 or 165 amp fuse make more sense, then you have some room for overage but not say 55 amps, does that make sense? I know for power wire the fuse I have in there is 10 amps above the draw of my amp, as to not worry about the wire catching on fire from over load, or blowing the amp for that matter. What are some of your takes on this.

7. stadt11

I thought the same thing, but talked to several audio guys and they said the fuse size should be based on the capacity the wire can carry.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  8. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!

I've been told the same thing and have read it also. For most marine applications we fuse to protect wiring and have motor overload thermal disconnects ( same theory as a circuit breaker) to protect equipment.

9. JennaBear

JennaBear Sponsor

Why not just an overdrive pulley for your alternator?

10. yota.coma

yota.coma undercover cop

I did the big 3 awhile back along with an iraggi 180amp. My voltage never drops below 14.3, and charges at 14.7 consistant