1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any cord cutters out there?

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by txab, Nov 22, 2019.

1. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

Anyone using streaming services to replace their cable TV line up? Just beginning to look into this a bit closer, as customer service by cable company has gone to shit. Would like to cut the bill down. Got to keep them for internet as they are the only viable game in town, unfortunately. What little I've looked, seems like you'll probably need to subscribe to several services to get the channels you want. I know Hulu is raising their prices

So come on! Any true cord cutters out there?

2. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 I've been knocked down drug out and left for dead

Though I've considered cutting the cord, I'm still paying out the ass for cable. Like you said, I do need to keep them for the internet, and that blasted land line that the wife refuses to get rid of. I do have Roku set up, but use it sparingly. I can't seem to get the channels I want to watch without cable. :dunno:

3. Darkanion

Darkanion The space intentionally left blank.

I 'cut the cord' years ago for TV. The price of DirecTV was getting to be more than I felt I "valued" what it was giving me. So, I got rid of them and went with an over the air antenna and DVR to get my local stuff.

Everyone is different and has different needs, but *I* found that I was able to find other forms of entertainment on TV that didn't require a bunch of subscriptions.

I've been told that this website can help you find streaming services that will give you what you want/need :
    https://www.suppose.tv/

One of the things I really really like about cordcutting is that I can pick & choose the services I subscribe to. "CBS All Access finally put all of the Discovery episodes up? Sign up for a month, watch 'em, and cancel." Any services that make it 'difficult' to cancel, I don't go back to.

There is so much entertainment out there these days, I don't see need to pay for YouTubeTV or Hulu Live (or whatever they call it) or any of the ones that "give me my old cable channels." Truthfully? I spend most of my time on YouTube and I pay for YouTube Premium, so I don't have to jack with their commercials.

"But, YouTube is just cat videos and stuff, right?" Not really... I'm into photography and I found a few photographers to follow. I'm into soft-roading and I found some off-road folks to follow (although, I tend to focus more on the 'overlander' types who aren't rock-crawling). I like certain types of music, so I found some bands and even former artists who now do interview shows. To me, a lot of the 100+ channels I follow on YouTube are reality (lowercase 'r') TV without the b/s of "Reality TV." It's people doing things and taking you along for the ride. *I* like that. Others may not. Everyone's different.

Once a year, I tend to sign up for Netflix for 2 or 3 months to "catch up on things I've missed." After I'm caught up, I cancel, so I'm not paying for something I'm not using a lot. If "cable" would let me pick & choose a dozen or so channels for a reasonable rate, I probably would still be paying for a service like that. But, to get this one particular racing oriented channel, you had to get a higher tier AND sign up for a specific package to get it... F' that! LOL

Everyone has a different path and has different needs. That's one thing I like about cordcutting. You can pick & choose what to sign up for and if you don't like the way a particular service works, get rid of it. :thumbs:

txab and OldCracker29 like this.
  4. GTO3x2

GTO3x2 I'm NEW... What now?

I wouldn't call that cutting the cord as much as changing the cord.

5. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

We have looked into this indepth. To keep my wife happy and have a DVR and to get the shows we watch, by the time we subscribed to all the channels and purchased a DVR to record and the DVR subscription it would cost the same as what we now pay for DirecTV and we have 3 DVR's. LOL I also was very lucky and contacted DirecTV about our bill. I have not done so in over a year and they knocked my bill down to $98 a month for a year. I'm good with that considering it was $164 a month before.

On a side note I did the same thing with Verizon and they lowered our monthly bill by $35. So that was a good day for use. :)

Darkanion likes this.
  6. Matt_

Matt_ I'm "nobody" to Rob...

We did this recently when we moved. Found it very difficult to cut the cord while we had it... and decided NOT to get anything other than internet at the new house to give it a shot.

We already had Amazon Prime so we used that to scratch our itch. Once we caught up on Prime series, most of the network shows we watched were available on the network apps for free.

This week we added Hulu (no ads) for 11.99/month. Gives us all the shows we used to DVR on DirecTV (paying $180/month) , but they're on demand (dont need DVR, watch anytime) and we dont have to fast forward commercials

Once we catch up on all the shows, we'll probably cancel our subscription and restart after new seasons are complete.

Darkanion likes this.
  7. kennythewelder

kennythewelder B31-3 (6 G ) certified

Yea, I cut the cord a few years ago. I built 3 antennas and put them in my adttic. I get about 30 channels. So my internet is fiber optics and a lower plan but still over 100 MPS. Internet bill is $45 a month. My wife and I look at you tube a good bit, but We have had cable, and direct tv before, and there are only a very few shows to watch. I got tired of paying for garbage tv. Here is a pic of 1 of my 3 antennas. They are all the same size, and pointed in different directions. There are plans for these on you tube. Just type in, home made tv antenna. 20160504_165210.jpg

8. Darkanion

Darkanion The space intentionally left blank.

You can call it whatever you want. I called it saving nearly $100 / month on TV. :thumbs:

9. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

Dumped cable to the curb about 4 years ago. Haven't looked back. We don't watch anything with commercials so....

Amazon Prime with Britbox added is great. American formula TV is typically so shitty that we only watch programming from abroad. Australia, Sweden, New Zealand, UK mostly.

We don't watch news or network TV, so it's great the 2 hours a day our TV is on.

10. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

The link that Michael posted is a good source for figuring out what you might to need to subscribe to for "channels"

Darkanion likes this.