Amsoil Report

Texas1911

Son of the CLOWN
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contrary to the norm I decided to run some Amsoil 5w30 in my BMW M3. There was a noticeable change in the fuel economy, to the toll of 2 MPG HWY, and response of the motor from the old Mobil 1 (20w50). Most can be attributed to the viscosity change, but I know Amsoil has always done well in testing.

My lifter tick, even with prolonged sitting periods, went away quickly, which is nice considering it seemed like one would always make racket with the Mobil 1 in the car.

I also bought some Amsoil 75w140 gear lube which initially made some chatter in my clutch-type LSD, but the chatter went away after about 10 miles. Pumping that stuff into the pumpkin is an olympic workout on your arms, LOL.

I'm pretty pleased with my Amsoil, and I'll probably stick around with them.

I'm interested to try a mix of the 0w20 and 10w30 Dominator, but I haven't had a chance to find out the difference. I'm assuming the base stock is the same, but it has a better compressive wear additive package? Maybe someone can chime in on that.

Bigredmariner

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Reaction score
That's good to hear I have been thinking about changing for awhile but now I'm thinking it will happen sooner rather than later. :thumbs:

Black02Silverado

Sponsor
Reaction score
Contrary to the norm I decided to run some Amsoil 5w30 in my BMW M3. There was a noticeable change in the fuel economy, to the toll of 2 MPG HWY, and response of the motor from the old Mobil 1 (20w50). Most can be attributed to the viscosity change, but I know Amsoil has always done well in testing.

My lifter tick, even with prolonged sitting periods, went away quickly, which is nice considering it seemed like one would always make racket with the Mobil 1 in the car.

I also bought some Amsoil 75w140 gear lube which initially made some chatter in my clutch-type LSD, but the chatter went away after about 10 miles. Pumping that stuff into the pumpkin is an olympic workout on your arms, LOL.

I'm pretty pleased with my Amsoil, and I'll probably stick around with them.

I'm interested to try a mix of the 0w20 and 10w30 Dominator, but I haven't had a chance to find out the difference. I'm assuming the base stock is the same, but it has a better compressive wear additive package? Maybe someone can chime in on that.

I have been told on several occasions that when one switched over from Mobil 1 their lifter tapping went away and the engine seemed to smooth out on at idle.

The Dominator series oils are for racing applications. They are not recommend for normal driving. The main reason for this is because of the beefed up additive package that has higher Zinc and phosphorus. This in turn could cause problems with you Cat. Also AMSOIL does not recommend mixing their oils. I would say that running the 10w-30 Dominator would provide plenty of protection. :)

Why would you want to mix? To get a lower 30w viscosity but not a full 20w?

I know of some individuals that have mixed weights with no problems. It is just that AMSOIL does not recommend it.

Texas1911

Son of the CLOWN
Reaction score
Because I want to mimic a 0w30. It won't be a true 0w30, but it will be close.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RonaldWaifs
Back