1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4l60e Servo Shift Kit Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by bubbatrucklover, May 30, 2019.

1. bubbatrucklover

bubbatrucklover Heavy Metal Red Neck

The long and short of it is I am swapping out my trans AGAIN. I'm thinking in the long run I should look into going to school part time to learn how to build them and NOT trust ANYONE but me to rebuild.

Moving along. One of my little "brothers" had a donor vehicle he blew the head and fwonked some other shiz up and donated his 4l60e and trans case to me. When buying the truck used he received the paper work from the previous owner showing a trans build with less then 3k miles on it. He and another "brother" had driven the truck multiple times and said they thought it had a shift kit in it based on how it shifted and over the years vehicles that they had various upgraded mods on. I contacted the trans shop and they had no further info other then what my paper work showed. They also said they do a certain amount of "upgrades" as standard rebuilds but, shift kits, Vette servos etc. are extra.

I did a little you tube research on Vette servo installs (someone else helped me the only time I had done it a life time before). Since it's cheap on Amazon and MUCH easier to install with the trans out I figured I would do it. That was/is the ONLY extra I'm doing on my budget. I don't want to start fwonkin' with some thing that worked FLAWLESSLY when it was parked.

The attached pics show what I found when I pulled it all apart. From my research USUALLY they add ONE extra spring. This had TWO (one inside the other) inside the factory spring and a thin one (same diameter as factory) that sits on top of it AND the 4 groves were cut into the "spring plate" (?) this is a standard shift kit up grade.

So based on the description and pics has anyone else seen, heard or had similar done and what can I hope to expect? I'm more curious as to the addition of the 2 extra springs as (like I said) it seems to be an extra above the regular upgrade.

I am REAL curious what (if any) other upgrades were done towards a shift kit AND why when going through this servo upgrade why not throw a Vette servo in while at it. I mean what the guy said about cutting the plate made sense and would have been EXTREMELY easy but (as I said before) I wasn't fwonkin' with anything "extra" especially something I hadn't done before.

Thanks for any guidance on this. :cheers:

20190521_215133.jpg

20190521_213107.jpg

20190521_213936.jpg

2. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

I don't have a clue. I did however install the vette servo in my 2002. Easy to do.

3. tjoyce81

tjoyce81 I'm NEW... What now?

bubbatrucklover likes this.
  4. bubbatrucklover

bubbatrucklover Heavy Metal Red Neck

OK. Thanks. :cheers: Sure looking forward to having not only a FULLY functioning trans but, one with some stank to it. :gunguy: