1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 Suburban just getting broke-in

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Time Wasters!' started by Black02Silverado, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

I put this here because I like to change oil and consider one of my hobbies. :lol:

This is a friend of ours from church. It is a 2003 Suburban with the 5.3. All original drive train. Only problem he is having is it will go into limp mode. He turns it off and starts it back up and it is fine for a while. Also it has an oil leak. A little worse than normal but he said it only uses a qt of oil in 3k miles so I don't think it is to bad.

The other thing is this thing has seen a rough life. Oil changes were ignored before I started doing them two years ago. He also ran what ever oil was the cheapest in it. He still does with me. But I get my non AMSOIL oil at a major discount as you have seen in a previous post about Auto Zone. So I have been running Mobil 1 in this for the past year. Considering it only cost me $2 a qt I pass the savings on to them.

Just thought you guys might be interested.

[​IMG]

2. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

Ha! That is cool.

I have long attested that the 2000-2004ish 800s were the best things ever built. It is the reason we cannot seem to break up with the Tahoe. I wish something would happen to it, so she would let me buy her something else :lol:

It is the second GM that we have taken uber care of, but the first one since new. I was a Valvoline guy, and used the SynPower since the first oil change, and then faithfully every 5K until you converted us to Amsoil while we were down in Oregon. I think it had 80ish on it then.

Damn thing runs like a watch. I am going to do plugs and wires on it again, just because it has been 9 years.

When I change the oil at 5-6K on this thing, it is still just a little darker than golden brown.

I thought the 400s were good, but the 800s were damn good.

3. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

:thumbs:

4. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 I've been knocked down drug out and left for dead

That's a little less than double of what I have...186,??? on mine...I think! I've been using synthetic since I bought it with 68K on it in 2010. I put Valvoline Synpower in it a week after I got it home. The next change was with Amsoil since Nick was so kind as to real me in so to speak. :thumbs:

5. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

My brother's Tahoe has almost that many miles. And it's lived a VERY rough life. I'm not sure exactly how many miles, but I know it's over 300k. It originally belonged to my brother David, but then when David passed away in 2007 my brother Dennis took over ownership of the Tahoe. He has driven it into the ground ever since. I wish he would have taken better care of it, but he is clueless when it comes to vehicle maintenance. He is to the point that he is tired of keeping up with the repairs on it. I may end up getting it from him, not because it's a nice truck but only because it was my late brother's truck and I'd like to keep it on the road in honor of him.

6. AlexanderCage

AlexanderCage Banned

Interesting. :thumbs: