1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16.5 x12 wheels

Discussion in 'WANTED Items' started by bubbatrucklover, Mar 14, 2013.

1. bubbatrucklover

bubbatrucklover Heavy Metal Red Neck

Due to recent vandalism on my truck :gunguy:, I am forced to make a change on my rims/tires situation for "day to day' driving.:fume:

I am changing to military Humvee tires. Only problem is I have 17 X 13.5" rims and they require 16.5'' X 12" rims.:(

So far I have only found a limited selection available. Of the 2 styles (offered in black or white) this is what I have settled on:

[​IMG]

It's the Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawler Series 16.5" x 12" with 6 X 5.5" lug pattern for my '02 Silverado.

I need 5 total and it seems the cheapest price is right at $140 ea (shipping varies) no matter what company I have Googled.

I have 3 local rim/tire shops "looking" for other variations OR a cheaper price. So far they are in NO hurry to get back to me.:fume:

If anyone knows where I can get them (or another variation) cheaper (new or used as I'm having them altered anyway) I would GREATLY appreciate it. :cheers:

2. CJ Hungus

CJ Hungus Moderator

Why exactly are you changing to Hum Vee tires?

3. ksblacksilvy

ksblacksilvy Business up front

^^^ That would be my question as well. They're heavy, and I really haven't seen anyone put them on a half ton. The dodge guys like them, and 16.5 rims in an 8 bolt pattern are pretty easy to find. I know two people who have ran/are running them on Cummins trucks, the first decided they were too heavy and rode like ass, the second still has them but I think he's getting tired of the 5 mpg loss...

If you do want them though, the ones you posted may be your best bet.

Off topic, but how do you like the Thorley's?

4. bubbatrucklover

On average $100 (used ) each mounted/balanced with 65% plus tread vs. mine @ $400-$500 each mounted/balanced. I can't afford the 1 let alone 1 plus a spare.

The truck was purchased with the hopes the construction work would pick back up and up keep could be absorbed. As is I'm trying to find options that will reduce up keep in the future without selling.

I didn't know they are heavier then what I have. :dunno:

as for the Thorleys, it's STILL on my "future mods" list. When you start looking at $1,000-$1,200 to upgrade an exhaust system it's hard to save up with all the other necessities and up grades too.:(

5. ksblacksilvy

Yeah the cost of the humvee tires is way lower. Worth it if you can find a nice set.

I'll probably get Thorley LT's soon... I just need to get some money together.

6. bubbatrucklover

Yeah here in Florida we seem to have an ample supply of the Humvee tires and good luck getting the Thorley's :thumbs:

7. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

I've seen several trucks running Humvee takeofs. Now I know why.

8. ksblacksilvy

Here's a pic of my truck with my friends truck on the 37" tires. They look good on it. He just bought a car for commuting.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

9. bubbatrucklover

Sweet.:thumbs: I guess also the Humvee's are 84lbs ea vs. 92.6 lbs. ea for my Toyos. So I guess the few ponds I lose on the tires I gain having to switch from aluminums to steel. Can't win for loosing. :rolleyes:

10. bubbatrucklover

Small update. 2 Regulars came into work last night 1 says he has a co worker who set up an account to get rims whole sale and the other works at a tire recycling facility. 5 Humvee tires "almost new"........$30 EACH!!!:thumbs::thumbs::fingertime::fingertime::wookie::wookie::rocker::rocker:

Why the fwonk couldn't I find out about this cheaper alternative a couple of years ago!!!!:fume: :lol: