Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central RockAuto

Go Back   Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central > LET'S TALK TRUCKS! > TMC TECHNICAL > Lubrication & Maintenance

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Lubrication & Maintenance

Down the rabbit hole

This is a discussion on Down the rabbit hole within the Lubrication & Maintenance forums, part of the TMC TECHNICAL category!
As mentioned in another thread, my daughter is heading for Duke University for the Summer, prepping my wife's old Cr-V ...

Fluid Changes / Lubrication / Preferences / Procedures / More

User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  Go to top #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2017, 08:41 PM
I actually AM too lazy to Choose a Custom Title

Vehicles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Down the rabbit hole

As mentioned in another thread, my daughter is heading for Duke University for the Summer, prepping my wife's old Cr-V for the trip so she has a car.

2006 Honda CR-V 245k miles, still in pretty good shape, burns about a quart of oil between gas fill ups. When my wife was driving it for work, it added up to about a quart every week.

So far-
Fresh oil change, it was due anyway
Spark plugs- got 140k or so out of the last set. Iridium last a long time but they were down to nubs
Front brake pads, not as low as they looked through the wheel gaps, but I won't have to worry about them again for a long time
Rear brakes were done recently
Rear diff fluid changed within the last year
Tranny fluid- drains and filled 3.5 qts or so,probably will do it again before we leave. 'Net says 3x is pretty much a complete change of fluid

Up next is suspension. Bushings are pretty well shot up front. I can get new ones for $5 or so, or get the whole control arm for $75 or less depending on brand. Debating how much work I want to do vs OEM quality against aftermarket. Of course, if I'm digging in that far, one of the cv boots has ripped and flung grease all over, new drive shaft isn't too expensive

Debating if I should do the fuel pump assembly, no problems so far but.....

Posting slightly drunk from my phone at a bar, so forgive me if some of this is nonsense
  Go to top #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Vehicles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like you got it covered. Do the fuel pump if they are an issue.

I'd go OEM on a Honda, but that is just me.

She will be 90 miles away from me. If you need help with any thing let me know. Only problem is that from now on until the end of October. I'm swamped at work and can't get away. It is a family business and it is just me and Susan.

Brian is closer being up in Raleigh.

Sent from my MaxiPad

Click the image to open in full size.
  Go to top #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Vehicles
Thanks for the offer, she'll be staying with my cousin who works at Duke as well, so I'm not too worried about her while she's there. It's more about it making the drive down and back, which we will be making with her.

No idea how long a fuel pump lasts, I had several Ford pumps on my work fleet die, all of them between 115-125K. I'm well beyond that here, no signs of it giving up, but they rarely do, right? OEM Honda seems to be $250 maybe I'll let it be

Last edited by Dartboy; 05-07-2017 at 12:32 PM.
  Go to top #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Vehicles
Parts on order, time running out.

Planning to leave next Sunday, parts should be here Wednesday. I decided to go with the full control arms and a half-shaft for the driver's side. Considering that I'm going halfway to replacing it to do the control arms, I figure $40 more is worth taking a shot at it. AT least the weather looks like it will co operate for the rest of the week.
  Go to top #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 PM

Vehicles
One side done, together at least. Need to torque everything down. Half-shaft goes in a lot easier in the videos. Lower ball joint did NOT want to come out. Hammered away at it for a bit, then bought the separator tool. The prying one, not the pickle fork, thought the tool snapped when it finally popped. Tools, sockets, extensions, control arm and me all went everywhere. But it's out.
  Go to top #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Vehicles
First side all buttoned up, took it for a little test drive. Seems pretty good, feel like there's a little pull every now and then, like the wheel doesn't want to self-center. I'm chalking this up to having 250K miles difference form one side to the other
  Go to top #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Vehicles
If I'd known how easy it was going to be, I would have done it 150K miles ago Second side went even faster than the first. Started around 10:00am, done by Noon. At the tire shop now getting fresh skins, tread was getting low and noisy.

Thumbs up to RockAuto and MAS Suspension parts. Seems like quality stuff, fitment was excellent.
BlackStallion29 likes this.
  Go to top #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Vehicles
Also, props to Honda. How does a vehicle spend 10 years and a quarter million miles in New England and not have every nut and bolt rusted to hell?
Black02Silverado likes this.
  Go to top #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2017, 04:37 AM
There's a world going on outside the world that I'm in...

Vehicles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartboy View Post
Also, props to Honda. How does a vehicle spend 10 years and a quarter million miles in New England and not have every nut and bolt rusted to hell?
Must use something besides salt.

*NRA* *GOA* *NAGR* *SAF*
  Go to top #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2017, 05:35 AM

Vehicles
No, what we use is even worse than salt. My Ram's undercarriage looks like I park it in the Ocean The Honda, I swear, didn't even feel like the bolts were torqued enough on the passenger side.

Pulled into a restaurant for dinner last night, started hearg clunking from the driver's side. Thought, "Oh, shit" checked my bolts, found one of the swaybar end links a little loose. Nice and quiet again On the road in a minute, wish me luck!
BlackStallion29 likes this.