Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central Black Bear Performance

Go Back   Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central > LET'S TALK TRUCKS! > TMC TRUCK & SUV > Diesel Trucks!

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Diesel Trucks!

Duramax Diesel Exhaust Mods, and Stuff*

This is a discussion on Duramax Diesel Exhaust Mods, and Stuff* within the Diesel Trucks! forums, part of the TMC TRUCK & SUV category!
So, after 2 years living in denial, I think the time has come. I need do the DPF/SCR/EGR delete to ...

It's here... a new section for oil burners.

User Tag List

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  Go to top #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 PM
ADMIN 

Vehicles
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Duramax Diesel Exhaust Mods, and Stuff*

So, after 2 years living in denial, I think the time has come. I need do the DPF/SCR/EGR delete to my truck, so I can convert it for off-road/competition use only

I am torn, as this money was slated to go into my Harley engine, you bastards!

Those in the know, help a brother out. I have done almost no research.

I am wanting as complete of a kit, or at least a single source to get all that I need to:
-EGR delete
-SCR delete (do I really need to removed any of the components, other than the urea lines?)
-DPF delete (entire exhaust system?)
-Tune (no rolling coal, period. Just want to tune out the above, and maybe a small bump for towing)
-CP3?? Do I really need this? I read, and read, and just don't know
-Lift pump/Primary filters
-Display for manifold pressure, EGT
WHAT ELSE AM I MISSING?

The goal is to have everything to put it back stock, in case I sell the truck. Nobody is going to by a hopped up diesel with a ton of mods.

Any and all help is appreciated. If all goes forward, I will take pics, and update as I go

Last edited by PenguinLTZ; 01-05-2017 at 02:14 PM.
  Go to top #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:53 PM

Vehicles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sounds reasonable. I wonder if Black Bear Performance can point you in the right direction if they can't help? Justin has got to know someone.

I want to get rid of all the emission crap on my Cruze as well. Just want to wait a little longer to get closer to out of warranty. But like most have stated, most issues is with all the emissions crap. I figure in a year or so there will be more to offer us "car diesel" guys.

Click the image to open in full size.
  Go to top #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM
redneck geek

Vehicles
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My understanding is that the CP4 in our trucks is an updated version that isn't quite as prone to failure as the earlier ones. If you're not going to make a ton of power/stressing the fuel, you should be ok with the CP4+lift pump setup. I'm sure Dennis will correct me if i'm off on this.

For advanced data display I'll be going with the Edge Insight CTS2 as well as their EGT probe.

2016 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax
weathertech | access lorado | du-ha | bilstein 5100 | suspension maxx keys
2012 Deep Blue Metallic Acadia Denali AWD

Last edited by geektoad; 01-04-2017 at 03:06 PM.
  Go to top #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Fox 1! Fox 2! Fox 3!

Vehicles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
There's been CP4 failures on 2015s, but we deal with a lot more shitty fuel storage conditions with a lot of people... Because oil patch, lol. Until you start seeing metal residue, don't worry about a CP3 conversion....but if you do see metal, and your truck still runs, do it ASAP.

With a lift pump, and a mild tune, I don't see you ever having issues, but for peace of mind, I would add checking the FPR every now and then.

The DPF system is pretty easy to disconnect... My tank, however, is staying on the truck. I plan on converting it to a water/meth tank, eventually... All the lines are still there, just disconnected.

Your primary EGT sensor is in the down pipe... It'll read a couple hundred degrees higher than actual temperature, because it's post turbo. 1200*F on the pyro is safe.

I run aggressive tunes, so I do roll more coal, but if I take it off the Max Effort tune, other than a puff if I floor it with no boost, she burns clean.

I don't think there's much cat back exhaust options for these trucks, but downpipe back is easy to install...

I'm really happy with my AFE, but it's on the more expensive end of things. I suggest a 4" exhaust with an Aero Turbine 4040XL for a muffler. Dyno proven to add HP and lowers EGTs (does some pretty good scavenging).

Idaho Rob is Blackbear's tuner. Since you have the autocal already, and they're basically unlimited licenses now, I recommend going that route. I was extremely satisfied with my CP4 tuning. CP3 takes a little more work, lol.

http://www.wcpowdercoating.com/

Spendy, but top notch product, and carries pretty much everything you need in one place.

Sorry if it's all jumbled, I haven't had coffee today, lol. Ask anything and everything, lol, and I'll answer what I can.
  Go to top #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Doctor Bob - Fastest Doctor Around

Vehicles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I sent Justin a text. I'll let you know if I get any feedback. I know he's working with a diesel tuner now and can utilize the autocal

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
  Go to top #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Fox 1! Fox 2! Fox 3!

Vehicles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nova View Post
I sent Justin a text. I'll let you know if I get any feedback. I know he's working with a diesel tuner now and can utilize the autocal
His tuner is Idaho Rob... He did my tuning
  Go to top #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 AM
ADMIN 

Vehicles
Quote:
Can I use mine? I don't remember the rules there, or if it was VIN locked to my other truck

Go to top #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2017, 08:43 AM
ADMIN 

Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post

With a lift pump, and a mild tune, I don't see you ever having issues, but for peace of mind, I would add checking the FPR every now and then.

The DPF system is pretty easy to disconnect... My tank, however, is staying on the truck. I plan on converting it to a water/meth tank, eventually... All the lines are still there, just disconnected.

Your primary EGT sensor is in the down pipe... It'll read a couple hundred degrees higher than actual temperature, because it's post turbo. 1200*F on the pyro is safe.

SNIP
Awesome, thanks for the info. As for the EGT sensor, what do you mean that it will run higher than actual?

Go to top #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Doctor Bob - Fastest Doctor Around

Vehicles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinLTZ View Post
Quote:

Can I use mine? I don't remember the rules there, or if it was VIN locked to my other truck

Yes you can. You have to buy another license with the tune.

You may contact Justin. He said he could probably get the guys at atp to put together a kit for him.

He's considering trading his 1500 in on a diesel also.

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
  Go to top #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2017, 09:09 AM
ADMIN 

Vehicles
I will check out their site, thanks!