Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central

Go Back   Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central > LET'S TALK TRUCKS! > TMC TECHNICAL > Mechanic's Corner

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Mechanic's Corner

GM IFS 8.25 axle stub play - is it time to rebuild?

This is a discussion on GM IFS 8.25 axle stub play - is it time to rebuild? within the Mechanic's Corner forums, part of the TMC TECHNICAL category!
Originally Posted by Bigredmariner Personally I would try getting a pair of Vise Grips on that bolt, heat the nut ...

Need help? Have mechanical questions? Post 'em here.

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  Go to top #41 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm NEW... What now?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredmariner View Post
Personally I would try getting a pair of Vise Grips on that bolt, heat the nut with a torch and spray some PBlaster or WD-40 on it, then see if it comes loose. I would try that before drilling or anything else.

One step ahead of you on that one bud. Tried Kroil and Vise Grips, didn't budge. Vice Grips kept on slipping. So I soaked it down with Kroil to let it do it's magic while I'm at work and probably over night. Gotta put some heat on that sucker in the morning and use a pipe wrench instead.

Cross your fingers.
Bigredmariner likes this.
  Go to top #42 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM
There once was a man from Nantucket

Vehicles
Send a message via Yahoo to Hickspanic
I personally have had much better luck with PB Blaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome7.3 View Post
Amazing how a couple of inches changes the whole appearance.
You tell 'em I'M coming... and Hell's coming with me, you hear?!
  Go to top #43 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm NEW... What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickspanic View Post
I personally have had much better luck with PB Blaster
Never tried that stuff. I get Kroil by the box full as my dads a head machinist. He's my last resort to get this broken bolt out and use his shop. We'll see if she moves tomorrow.
  Go to top #44 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM

Vehicles
I've heard of people using a mix of 50/50 mix of 100% acetone and dextron/mercron automatic transmission fluid.

Click the image to open in full size.
  Go to top #45 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm NEW... What now?

All done... well except the damn bolt. She was not budge. For now it's being held on by one bolt, as I couldn't get to my dad's shop tonight due to some severe tornado type weather (had a funnel cloud go over our town). We will just cut the bolt off and weld a stud on, no big deal and will serve it's function just fine.

Click the image to open in full size.

Took all by 10 minutes to raise her up in there and get her bolted in. Drives good.. No humming noise, no weird vibrations, so far so good. We will see over the weekend.
Bigredmariner likes this.
  Go to top #46 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2018, 09:48 AM
I'm NEW... What now?

Iím having same issue

I’m having the same issue at the moment! The front stub axle shaft wobbles like crazy! And because of it the truck gets a bad vibration while under acceleration. I figured it was the outer stub axle bearing so I changed it, along with the seal. After doing so it still wobbled and had a vibration. So I opted to get a new/used ifs center section from a guy down the road that was parting out his truck. I inspected the new/used unit and it seemed fine, with only 90k on it. After installing it I took the truck for test drive and the vibration is still there. So I climbed under the front end and checked it and this unit is doing the same thing! I also need to add the with the old unit my 4x4 stopped working when the vibration started, and after installing the new/used unit even with the vibration the 4x4 now works! I also need to add that, This axle wobble was never an issue until I installed my Rough Country leveling kit, which consists of lift blocks in the rear, and torsion bar lift keys for the front. With the lift keys installed and in the truck it puts the CV shafts on a pretty bad downward angle putting stress/pulling down on both the stub axle and long axles on the ifs. Also the angle is so bad that the cv shaft boots are rubbing and pinching so bad that they wore through and now I need new cv shaft boots! If anyone could help me out with any of these issues and how to go about fixing them that would be much Appreciated! Thx in advance! Luke!

Last edited by Lukedawg84; 05-28-2018 at 09:50 AM.