Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central RockAuto

Go Back   Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central > LET'S TALK TRUCKS! > TMC TECHNICAL > Mechanic's Corner

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Mechanic's Corner

GM IFS 8.25 axle stub play - is it time to rebuild?

This is a discussion on GM IFS 8.25 axle stub play - is it time to rebuild? within the Mechanic's Corner forums, part of the TMC TECHNICAL category!
No doubt. The repair will be a lot less expensive now than it would have been if it failed on ...

Need help? Have mechanical questions? Post 'em here.

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  Go to top #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 PM
I hate black wheels...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No doubt. The repair will be a lot less expensive now than it would have been if it failed on the road... plus the down time would suck.

Go to top #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:00 PM
?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice work. It will be good having the piece of mind that it is taken care of before your next road trip.

By the way....Welcome to the site.
  Go to top #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm NEW... What now?

Thanks for the welcomes!

Definitely... I do about 30-35K miles in a good year (already put 30K on this truck since I bought it) and usually keep them to around 200-250K miles. It will definitely be good piece of mind especially since after Ohio I am planning a trip out to Yellowstone / Idaho with my kids.

I've been attempting to find some torque specs on this site and other forums. Maybe you guys might know these

Front Differential Mounting Bolts (the 4 bolts that hold it up)
CV Axles to diff axle shafts (I believe those were 60ft lbs, just not 100% sure)
front driveshaft retaining bolts at yoke

I have all my other specs ready and just waiting for the diff to come back. Tonight I cleaned up the steering knuckle hub mounting flanges for the new hubs to go in smoothly. Also inspected the driveshaft u-joint and that looks good. Can't wait to get her back together. As much as I love my Mustang, I don't like it as a daily driver. It gets annoying fast and I miss my truck. LOL
  Go to top #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Don't get stuck on stupid!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
No doubt. The repair will be a lot less expensive now than it would have been if it failed on the road... plus the down time would suck.
Yeah, you could have been this guy on another site.

Quote:
My 1994 K1500 is leaking oil from front diff from the seals mostly around where the left output shaft connect to it,
Also there is a slight play on the same shaft.
It all started over a year ago when I went on the highway at high speed with 4x4 mode still engaged which caused clanking noise and oil and smoke to come out of the diff, when I stopped I managed to dis-engage 4x4 and continued driving ok.
The car been driving fine ever since but lately I reffiled the oil which came out after about 100miles highway driving,
Other than oil there is NO noise or whining.
  Go to top #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm now on Medicare,officially old.

Vehicles
Real smart.....4wd on a highway

It's not fixed yet?

Last edited by dirtyoldman; 06-10-2013 at 10:29 PM.
  Go to top #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 PM
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoldman View Post

It's not fixed yet?
I had a dumbass moment about 5 years ago and did this. I was pulling my buddies boat out of the water and I always used 4HI with his particular boat due to the size and wet ramp. I was about 5 miles down the road before I realized I never took it out of 4HI. Fortunately no damage.
  Go to top #27 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm now on Medicare,officially old.

Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie2Sierra View Post
Quote:

It's not fixed yet?
I had a dumbass moment about 5 years ago and did this. I was pulling my buddies boat out of the water and I always used 4HI with his particular boat due to the size and wet ramp. I was about 5 miles down the road before I realized I never took it out of 4HI. Fortunately no damage.
I've done it as well....about a mile at 40 maybe.But this guy was ''at speed'' and the diff was smoking
  Go to top #28 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 PM
?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie2Sierra View Post
Quote:

It's not fixed yet?
I've done it as well....about a mile at 40 maybe.But this guy was ''at speed'' and the diff was smoking
Yeah, slightly different situations from ours.
  Go to top #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm NEW... What now?

Well of course the broken bolt gremlin god had to come visit me today. I was dong some prep work today in the morning before work and cleaning up the mounting surfaces where the diff mounts to and the surfaces on the knuckles where the hubs mount. I also had new oem sway bar bushings to install, that I never got to when I installed my new lca's and uca's a month go. I figured now would be a perfect time to do it.

So of course the last bolt had other plans for me. And yes that's my ugly ass mug shot in the pic as we used a forward facing cam thru the wheel well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Before anyone says anything, nope I did not apply any super human torque to it. The head just snapped off using my 3/8 drive. I already have new bolts on order. I retapped the remaining 3 good holes as it's a M10x1.50 thread and I have that tap Now it will be time to bust out the grinding wheel, torch, and some left handed drill bits and put them to use, and say a prayer and do the broken bolt dance. Hope this puppy comes out. My last resort is to just weld on a thread stud.

Oh and the shop just called. Diff was completed about 2 hours ago. Not bad, 1.5 day turn aroudn time. Going to pick that up in the morning. Hopefully get the truck back on thr road sometime tomorrow.
  Go to top #30 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2013, 03:57 PM
There once was a man from Nantucket

Vehicles
Send a message via Yahoo to Hickspanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioski View Post
Well of course the broken bolt gremlin god had to come visit me today. I was dong some prep work today in the morning before work and cleaning up the mounting surfaces where the diff mounts to and the surfaces on the knuckles where the hubs mount. I also had new oem sway bar bushings to install, that I never got to when I installed my new lca's and uca's a month go. I figured now would be a perfect time to do it.

So of course the last bolt had other plans for me. And yes that's my ugly ass mug shot in the pic as we used a forward facing cam thru the wheel well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Before anyone says anything, nope I did not apply any super human torque to it. The head just snapped off using my 3/8 drive. I already have new bolts on order. I retapped the remaining 3 good holes as it's a M10x1.50 thread and I have that tap Now it will be time to bust out the grinding wheel, torch, and some left handed drill bits and put them to use, and say a prayer and do the broken bolt dance. Hope this puppy comes out. My last resort is to just weld on a thread stud.

Oh and the shop just called. Diff was completed about 2 hours ago. Not bad, 1.5 day turn aroudn time. Going to pick that up in the morning. Hopefully get the truck back on thr road sometime tomorrow.
sucks that it broke, good luck etting it fixed
glad that the diff is good to go

damn, you are uglier than daddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome7.3 View Post
Amazing how a couple of inches changes the whole appearance.
You tell 'em I'M coming... and Hell's coming with me, you hear?!