Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central

Go Back   Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central > LET'S TALK TRUCKS! > TMC TRUCK & SUV > 12V Electronics

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

12V Electronics

Dual Batteries


This is a discussion on Dual Batteries within the 12V Electronics forums, part of the TMC TRUCK & SUV category!
Forget the isolator. and go with a heavy duty solenoid to isolate the batteries when the key is off...

Audio / Video / Alarms / Lighting / Etc.

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  Go to top #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 PM
BHB's Avatar
BHB BHB is offline
I WILL say things that piss you off!!!
 
Real Name: Gregg
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Noo Yawk
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Forget the isolator. and go with a heavy duty solenoid to isolate the batteries when the key is off

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Suburbans are better... but they are for men with real balls.
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
bubbatrucklover's Avatar
Heavy Metal Red Neck
 
Real Name: Rusty Shackelford III Esquire
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville,Fl U.S. of A.
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
In series works well. Once they are charged, the alternator only maintains a charge. Unless you are going to be draining them without the engine running, I don't see any reason for the added expense or complexity... but it's YOUR truck!

EDIT: IN PARALLEL ONLY! Not series...
Yeah it's MY truck but, it's also MY wallet sponsoring the project. LOL so I'd be glad to save an extra expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredmariner View Post
Wiring two 12 volt batteries in series will result in 24 volts to your system. I'm not sure that's the direction you should go.


Posted from my iPad via Tapatalk HD.
HAHAHAHA!

UH. OOPS.

Obviously they need to be wired in parallel unless you want to start a new 24 volt module frying trend...
No thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BHB View Post
Forget the isolator. and go with a heavy duty solenoid to isolate the batteries when the key is off

Click the image to open in full size.
That's a thought thanks.
__________________
siggy_by_CrmzenDrgone>>>>>>>>--------------------------------
Future Mods: 14" SAS w/4 link/400hp(+) 383ci w/underdrives/ 4L60e Vette tranny / beefed up t-case/2 X pipe w/ Thorley's-Magnaflow cats-Spintechs/custom tune/moderate 700watt+ sound system/Warn Trans4mer brush-bumper guard w/hidden winch mount
_________________________________________DONATIONS ACCEPTED
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
bubbatrucklover's Avatar
Heavy Metal Red Neck
 
Real Name: Rusty Shackelford III Esquire
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville,Fl U.S. of A.
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I removed this tray:

Click the image to open in full size.

and installed the secondary battery tray. Not only would the fender support be in the way but so is the fWONking mounting tab. (so is the AC line) :

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm going to take it to my friend's shop and see if he can loosen up the flare nuts and twist the line. That way if I loose any coolant he can recharge.

as for the other. I see in the other installs they kept their mounting tab but, no mention if they removed the overflow tank then put the battery in then re installed the tank.

I'll have to measure the space and the battery for clearance. I was in a rush to get shiz put away and eat.
__________________
siggy_by_CrmzenDrgone>>>>>>>>--------------------------------
Future Mods: 14" SAS w/4 link/400hp(+) 383ci w/underdrives/ 4L60e Vette tranny / beefed up t-case/2 X pipe w/ Thorley's-Magnaflow cats-Spintechs/custom tune/moderate 700watt+ sound system/Warn Trans4mer brush-bumper guard w/hidden winch mount
_________________________________________DONATIONS ACCEPTED
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
daddy's Avatar
Follicularly Disenfranchised
   
 
Real Name: Bert Macklin
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pawnee, IN
Age: 41
Posts: 48,662
Vehicles
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are you using using an odd-sized battery or an aftermarket tray or something?

I find it hard to believe GM would design a system that requires the removal of a fender support. Not impossible, just hard.
__________________
EFF PHOTOBUCKET RIGHT IN THE BUTT.
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM
M.Cueva's Avatar
jrrod2004
 
Real Name: Mike
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatrucklover View Post
So I removed this tray:

Click the image to open in full size.

and installed the secondary battery tray. Not only would the fender support be in the way but so is the fWONking mounting tab. (so is the AC line) :

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm going to take it to my friend's shop and see if he can loosen up the flare nuts and twist the line. That way if I loose any coolant he can recharge.

as for the other. I see in the other installs they kept their mounting tab but, no mention if they removed the overflow tank then put the battery in then re installed the tank.

I'll have to measure the space and the battery for clearance. I was in a rush to get shiz put away and eat.


Ok, having already done this, let me try to help you out.....


You need the factory battery tray (looks like the one you took out). You need to remove the factory airbox, move (not remove) the overflow tank (by taking the screws out) and reinstalling the factory battery tray. The upper brace (semi circle metal piece) will not be required since the battery tray is the lower mount support (OEM GM Design). The upper bracket was installed in all the trucks by default unless they were the HD series trucks WITH the second battery option intalled (usually Diesel). you can toss the fender support (upper) if you want.....

Second: stick with the same sized battery as the 1st one, dont try to go with a bigger (physical) sized one......

Third, the original mounting tab where the curved brace bolted to (on the firewall), bend that up approx 3 millimeters and you will have all the clearance to install and uninstall the second battery. the A/C line should not really get in the way unless it was moved from its OEM location. Hope this help....





(If you need pics of my setup, let me know)
__________________

My Truck: 2006 Silverado
My Site: www.jrrod2004.com/silverado
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
daddy's Avatar
Follicularly Disenfranchised
   
 
Real Name: Bert Macklin
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pawnee, IN
Age: 41
Posts: 48,662
Vehicles
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Cueva View Post
The upper brace (semi circle metal piece) will not be required since the battery tray is the lower mount support (OEM GM Design). The upper bracket was installed in all the trucks by default unless they were the HD series trucks WITH the second battery option intalled (usually Diesel).
Ah!

Good info, as usual, Mike!
__________________
EFF PHOTOBUCKET RIGHT IN THE BUTT.
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 PM
BHB's Avatar
BHB BHB is offline
I WILL say things that piss you off!!!
 
Real Name: Gregg
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Noo Yawk
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatrucklover View Post


That's a thought thanks.
They work better than isolators.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Suburbans are better... but they are for men with real balls.
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:07 AM
bubbatrucklover's Avatar
Heavy Metal Red Neck
 
Real Name: Rusty Shackelford III Esquire
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville,Fl U.S. of A.
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy View Post
Are you using using an odd-sized battery or an aftermarket tray or something?

I find it hard to believe GM would design a system that requires the removal of a fender support. Not impossible, just hard.
Nope. Went to the GM dealer (less then 2 minutes from my house. ALWAYS a nice convenience ) and bought the secondary tray. The battery is a Car Quest the previous owner had as the factory replacement.
__________________
siggy_by_CrmzenDrgone>>>>>>>>--------------------------------
Future Mods: 14" SAS w/4 link/400hp(+) 383ci w/underdrives/ 4L60e Vette tranny / beefed up t-case/2 X pipe w/ Thorley's-Magnaflow cats-Spintechs/custom tune/moderate 700watt+ sound system/Warn Trans4mer brush-bumper guard w/hidden winch mount
_________________________________________DONATIONS ACCEPTED
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #19 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 AM
bubbatrucklover's Avatar
Heavy Metal Red Neck
 
Real Name: Rusty Shackelford III Esquire
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville,Fl U.S. of A.
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Cueva View Post

Ok, having already done this, let me try to help you out.....

You need the factory battery tray (looks like the one you took out). You need to remove the factory airbox, move (not remove) the overflow tank (by taking the screws out) and reinstalling the factory battery tray. The upper brace (semi circle metal piece) will not be required since the battery tray is the lower mount support (OEM GM Design). The upper bracket was installed in all the trucks by default unless they were the HD series trucks WITH the second battery option intalled (usually Diesel). you can toss the fender support (upper) if you want.....

Second: stick with the same sized battery as the 1st one, dont try to go with a bigger (physical) sized one......

Third, the original mounting tab where the curved brace bolted to (on the firewall), bend that up approx 3 millimeters and you will have all the clearance to install and uninstall the second battery. the A/C line should not really get in the way unless it was moved from its OEM location. Hope this help....

(If you need pics of my setup, let me know)
I always LOVE pics. Feel free to post if you want.

Yeah I figured out how to install the factory tray ( that's it installed in the pic with the red circles). I have a K&N cold air intake so the box wasn't an issue and I figured out about moving the overflow tank out of the way slightly.

So the tab needs bent. Good to know. That's all I saw was going to prevent the battery from fitting. As for the AC line. When the new compressor was installed I think the line was re installed slightly angled. Not a problem at the time as there was no battery tray to see the valve as an issue with the installation of the battery hold down block.

My battery choice by default was the po's factory sized replacement. I'll go with another Optima when funds permit.

I think this is a really cool factory option.
__________________
siggy_by_CrmzenDrgone>>>>>>>>--------------------------------
Future Mods: 14" SAS w/4 link/400hp(+) 383ci w/underdrives/ 4L60e Vette tranny / beefed up t-case/2 X pipe w/ Thorley's-Magnaflow cats-Spintechs/custom tune/moderate 700watt+ sound system/Warn Trans4mer brush-bumper guard w/hidden winch mount
_________________________________________DONATIONS ACCEPTED
Reply With Quote
  Go to top #20 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 AM
bubbatrucklover's Avatar
Heavy Metal Red Neck
 
Real Name: Rusty Shackelford III Esquire
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville,Fl U.S. of A.
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHB View Post

They work better than isolators.
Works for me. Thanks.
__________________
siggy_by_CrmzenDrgone>>>>>>>>--------------------------------
Future Mods: 14" SAS w/4 link/400hp(+) 383ci w/underdrives/ 4L60e Vette tranny / beefed up t-case/2 X pipe w/ Thorley's-Magnaflow cats-Spintechs/custom tune/moderate 700watt+ sound system/Warn Trans4mer brush-bumper guard w/hidden winch mount
_________________________________________DONATIONS ACCEPTED
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.2.3 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.