Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central Black Bear Performance

Go Back   Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central > LET'S TALK TRUCKS! > TMC TRUCK & SUV > 12V Electronics

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

12V Electronics

Blazer Ignition Problems

This is a discussion on Blazer Ignition Problems within the 12V Electronics forums, part of the TMC TRUCK & SUV category!
Is this the way your's is wired ? http://71camaross.com/Images/Instruc...t%20Wiring.jpg...

Audio / Video / Alarms / Lighting / Etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  Go to top #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2013, 06:58 PM
No Whiners, Violaters will be bitched slapped.

Vehicles
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this the way your's is wired ?
http://71camaross.com/Images/Instruc...t%20Wiring.jpg
  Go to top #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsta86 View Post
Quote:
What MSD do you have ?
6 AL
Try this
http://brianesser.com/tech/wiring/ms...5_Page_026.jpg
Only thing I might have wrong is the small red to a "12 volt switched" source. If that can be clearly defined to what I should run it to might help. Right now it's to the back of my ignition switch,MIT gets 12 volts when key is turned on. Right?

I'm getting closer. I can use a screwdriver to jump from the ignition post to the starter signal post on the back of the ignition switch. But turning the key from ON to START, I don't get anything. Also, touching the ACC post wires to the SIGNAL post results in the engine cranking over, no start. There's a small piece of this puzzle that I'm obviously missing.
  Go to top #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Vehicles
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What MSD do you have ?
6 AL
Try this
Only thing I might have wrong is the small red to a "12 volt switched" source. If that can be clearly defined to what I should run it to might help. Right now it's to the back of my ignition switch,MIT gets 12 volts when key is turned on. Right?

I'm getting closer. I can use a screwdriver to jump from the ignition post to the starter signal post on the back of the ignition switch. But turning the key from ON to START, I don't get anything. Also, touching the ACC post wires to the SIGNAL post results in the engine cranking over, no start. There's a small piece of this puzzle that I'm obviously missing.
That is correct. I would look for problems in the crank wire or the switch itself.
  Go to top #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What MSD do you have ?
6 AL
Try this

That is correct. I would look for problems in the crank wire or the switch itself.
I've done both. Bought a new ignition switch, and I've used a jumper wire. Jumping from starter solenoid, to the ignition switch. And still nothing.

6" back from ignition post on the signal wire, there is a yellow male connector that has been split into the line, if I plug a female connector into this, would it complete the circuit? Resulting in the key moving to the START position, sending the complete signal down to the solenoid?
  Go to top #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 PM

Vehicles
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What MSD do you have ?
6 AL
Try this

I've done both. Bought a new ignition switch, and I've used a jumper wire. Jumping from starter solenoid, to the ignition switch. And still nothing.

6" back from ignition post on the signal wire, there is a yellow male connector that has been split into the line, if I plug a female connector into this, would it complete the circuit? Resulting in the key moving to the START position, sending the complete signal down to the solenoid?
Put a meter or test light on it to see if you get voltage in the start position.
  Go to top #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What MSD do you have ?
6 AL
Try this

Put a meter or test light on it to see if you get voltage in the start position.
I don't. Is this the pain in my ass that is so easy to fix? Maybe?
  Go to top #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Vehicles
You need to make sure that you are getting voltage to the starter in the start position. That may be your only problem.
  Go to top #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
You need to make sure that you are getting voltage to the starter in the start position. That may be your only problem.
I know that I'm not getting that. But I have no idea how to fix that. Any pointers? All the wires look good. Only wires that should be of concern are the red starter >>battery cable. and the purple starter >>>>>ignition switch. Right? I'm pretty sure I have the ignition switch set up right. Only thing I could think of is there suppose to be a hot wire on the starter/signal post?
  Go to top #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm now on Medicare,officially old.

Vehicles
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I forget,what year Blazer is it?
  Go to top #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM

1972. The ignition switch is from a earlier model jeep. Don't know why. But I don't think it should make a diff, right?